Monday, February 20, 2006

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Here are just a few things that happened today in no particular order.

The Good: The very last load of laundry is in the dryer. And that’s good because I used up all my laundry soap doing that load.

The Bad: The tension on my sewing machine has been giving me fits for 24 hours. I threaded and re-threaded the machine and bobbin. I messed with the dials. I even consulted the manual. After talking with Shannon at least three times, I finally fixed the tension on my sewing machine. How? By taking all the thread off my bobbin and re-threading it. I have no idea why that worked when nothing else did, but it did. Thanks Shannon.

The Ugly: A little background before this riveting story: Google Earth is a free program that rocks. It shows satellite images of everything. You can type in your address and see your house, you can type in Statue of Liberty and see that, etc. It’s cool, educational, and just plain fun. My son loves maps, site-seeing, and statistics—you can get all of these things via Google Earth.

Today my son asked to play around with Google Earth while I was taking my shower. Sure, why not? A little education on a day off from school is just gravy in my book. So what was he looking up while I’m in the shower? Crime statistics all over the United States. The crime stats tell you how many assaults, robberies, burglaries, larcenies, murders, and rapes are recorded for a certain area. My son was going through each of these and finally couldn’t take it any longer. “Mom, what’s rape?” Yeah. Great. At this point I would like to say a great big THANK YOU to my husband who showed my statistic-loving son how to check the stats in the first place. Why couldn't he ask me what larceny is? I was taken off guard so I told him rape is making a woman do something she does not want to do. I’m sure this particular definition will come back to haunt me at a most inopportune time. So, after our little talk my son continues his stat checking—-I mean, why stop him now? Well, I’ll tell you why. We check out the suburban neighborhood our friends moved to in Chicago. The stats are clear (all zeros). He sighs with relief. We move over to Chicago proper and the stats are staggering. My son whispers to himself, “Those women have to be tough.” I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

9 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't...breathe...laughing...so...hard....

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Wow! So glad my kids haven't found out about all that yet. More power to ya!

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you, my oldest asked what the word "sexy" meant. I told him it's not a bad word, but it's a "grown-up" word that some grown-ups use to describe other grown-ups, so children shouldn't use it. He said, "But what does it MEAN." I played my old stand-by card here--"It's something we'll discuss with you when you're a little older, but not right now." Usually that's good enough for him, but this time he said, "But I can handle it NOW." Hmmmm...I see a father/son camping trip in our future..... :)

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Yay for the good. And oh man, that ugly is ugly. Poor kid and poor you having to explain to him!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Chilihead2 said...

LOL Shannon. Please feel free to have your husband take mine with him. ;)

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger ShelahBooksIt said...

I always thought mothering babies was hard (so little sleep) and mothering toddlers was hard (so busy) and mothering preschoolers was hard (so many questions) but I'm just learning that the hardest thing so far about having a school-age kid is walking the fine line between telling them too much and keeping them sheltered. We're still learning on the job. As a result, my kindergartener already knows the mechanics of sex and that Santa is really mommy (thanks, honey, for being so open and honest). Anyway, it sounds like you're doing a great job!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

LOL! Your last line really sums it up.

I worked on a task I really didn't want to at work today, which made me feel pretty violated. ;)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Heth said...

Oh Chili, your son is precious. Google Earth is so cool.

Congrats on the caught up laundry.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

Oh my... this is way too funny!! Guess it's been settled. Chicago women are tough! :-) This was GREAT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home