Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sharing with my Daughter

When I was a child, one of my favorite books was Cinderella. I still have it. It is worn out and faded, hanging together, literally, by a thread. I’m not sure why I loved it so much. I wasn’t prone to pretending to be a princess, but I loved Cinderella and Snow White (that book is in much the same condition as my Cinderella). My daughter, Munchkin, has never really shown much interest in either of those books, let alone the movies. She has never been entirely interested in any of the princesses except Jasmine. I suspect it is Jasmine’s gauzy two-piece that jangles when she walks that Munchkin is most interested in. No, she doesn’t really like the princesses as much as the animals. In fact, we’ve been to Disney World three times and each time she was happy to meet both Cinderella and Snow White, but not as happy as she was to meet Timone and Rafiki.

Last night things seemed to take a different turn. My husband called from the video store to ask Munchkin which video she would like to watch that night: Cinderella or ?? Of course, Munchkin asked for Spy Kids instead. As luck would have it, Spy Kids was out and my husband came home with Cinderella. My daughter is entranced. Entranced I tell you. She is watching it for the second time this morning. I haven’t seen her this engrossed since she watched Shark Boy and Lava Girl for the one millionth time.

I have been trying figure out why I’m so happy she likes this movie. So many movies these days are loud and incoherent. The story is barely detectable amidst the special effects and off-color jokes meant for the adults accompanying their children. Cinderella has a story, magic, singing, animals, a happy ending. Simplicity. I do think my daughter is more interested in the fact that Cinderella can talk to animals and said animals morph from raggedy mice, dogs, and horses to regal footmen and horses. I loved that too. The bottom line is this: I’m pleased to have this part of my life in common with my daughter.

7 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger A. Gator said...

Very sweet!

My husband actually bought Cinderella for our soon-to-be-born son. When I asked him why he chose a "girly movie" he said, "Because I want him to have a sensitive side." I could just eat that man up! :)

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We discovered Cinderella in December and I love love love to hear that little bitty girl voice say, "Mommy, SaLaLa?" I have become a total sucker for anything with Cinderella on it now. It's ridiculous. But so much fun.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me so excited for my baby daughter to grow older!

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, I used to have a massive crush on Cinderella. I once got a set of "Cinderella" Viewmaster disks for Christmas. My parents couldn't figure out why I liked my Viewmaster so much - they thought I was hiding in the closet to look at the Apollo Mission disks.

File this under "things you didn't want to know about me."

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those earlier Disney movies were so much better than the later ones. How sweet that you're both Cinderella fans!

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Sweet story! Those old Disney movies were pretty magical.

I secretly think my mom wants grandchildren just so she can watch kid-oriented movies with them without my dad giving her flack.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Heth said...

That movie is the BEST. Hooray for femininity and Prince Charming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home