Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Timshel: Thou Mayest

Those who know me know I am not religious. However, there are some passages that, regardless of where they come from, when I read them, speak volumes to me. They are as interesting from a religious perspective as not. They are worthy of lengthy discussions regardless of your affiliation or non-affiliation. One such passage is the following from East of Eden.

(This passage discusses how the translation of one word in the bible (the Hebrew word timshel) into another (e.g., 'Thou doest' or 'Thou shalt') can make a difference in how a single passage is read and interpreted. These lines are spoken by Lee.)

The American Standard translation orders men to triumph over sin, and you can call sin ignorance. The King James translation makes a promise in 'Thou shalt,' meaning that men will surely triumph over sin. But the Hebrew word, the word timshel--'Thou mayest'--that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man. For if 'Thou mayest'--it is also true that 'Thou mayest not.' Don't you see?

It is that ability to reason, to choose your own path that makes man. It is not for anyone else to choose that path for another. Each one of us has our own choices and we must live with them and learn from them as appropriate.

I love this book. There are so many levels to it, so much to learn and re-learn. I cannot stress enough how wonderful it is to re-read this book and find new things each time.

5 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely the most thought-provoking part of the book. I've thought about it a lot. How can "timshel" co-exist with my own belief in a sovereign God? I don't know, but I believe that it does, and that I'll understand someday. There's a lot of hope in that.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Heth said...

Wow, that is really profoud! THe Hebrew words are so amazing.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic passage! I will for sure go buy this one now.

Excellent post. Welcome home, indeed. :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger GiBee said...

Sorry I'm so dense, but what does it mean by 'calling sin ignorance' ??

Does that mean I can steal, and then triumph over this sin because I was 'ignorant' to the fact that stealing is a sin?

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chili, for the last week or so, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see your sidebar. Maybe it's just me, but I thought I'd let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home