Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Seedy Underbelly of Blog Addiction

Warning: This post may be unsuitable for the faint of heart, the tidy, the perfectionist, or anyone else who is going to criticize my housekeeping and blog addiction. Oh, and FLYbabies. If you’re a FLYbaby, you may want to skip this post.

Caveat: Any similarities between Chilihead and anyone you know (including yourself) are completely coincidental. However, if you see yourself or a loved one in this post, please, PLEASE seek help. I offer this post as a public service announcement. If only I’d been warned before I started or if my family had seen the signs, perhaps I could have been saved. If this post helps just one person, my purpose here will have been fulfilled.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


There is an aspect of blogging that no one talks about. A dirty little secret if you will (no pun intended). It is the seedy underbelly of blog addiction.

When I started blogging two years ago my posts were intermittent at best. I did a few here and there and usually only when I feeling ultra-creative or “poetic”. You know, just social blogging. Then this past December a “friend” asked if I blogged. As we discussed it she encouraged me to blog more. And more. She even invited me to blog with her at her house. She pointed me to other bloggers that were interesting. Then she showed me how to increase traffic to my site and how to subscribe to webrings. In short, she hooked me up. I was feeling the rush and I didn't want it to end.

Now I spend hours blogging, thinking of blogging, advertising blogging, and reading blogs. Forget the housework and the kids. Forget my husband. I’m just looking for my next blog.

As I posted a few days ago, I took a forced break from the blogging scene to prove I could do it. The following pictures were taken during that forced break. These pictures are graphic and may not be suitable for all audiences.

My bedroom:
seedy_underbelly (2)

This photo shows dirty laundry in the front pile, clean laundry in the back pile. When my children asked if they had clean clothes, I vaguely motioned to either pile without taking my eyes off my blog. I still have no idea what they were wearing to school. Or if they got to school.

My kitchen:
seedy_underbelly (5)
seedy_underbelly (4)
The tea ring is a result of my DTs while I tried to pour some iced tea directly from the pitcher I just brewed it in. That tea maker and ring stayed there for three days. The dishes where just the tip of the ice burg. The dishwasher was full and there were more in the bottom of the sink. My children begged for cereal bowls, but I pretended I couldn’t hear them. Since I hadn't swept the floors in weeks surely they would find stray bits of Cheerios somewhere down there.

Dustbunnies, er, full-grown rabbits:
seedy_underbelly (1)

It has been weeks since I have swept, dry-mopped, or wet-mopped. How can I possibly do floors when I could be reading this or this or this? Or this? And don't forget this!

Ladies and gentlemen, don't do what Bobby Don't does. Save yourselves.

23 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Chase said...

I LOVE this post!! It's 100% me. I even USED to be a FLYbaby. No more...now I'm a BLOGbaby. I might even be out of Windex. *gasp*

On a similar note, where do all the spoons go? They aren't clean, this I know, but where the hell ARE they??

I'd personally rather read and write blogs than to...well, just about anything, really. I even turn off any tv or radio when I'm in blog mode - how scary is THAT?

Keep on truckin' lady. You're doing SWELL!

(btw. my new site is up - stop by and say hi! and then go get YOU one because you can't spend too much time blogging. tastetheworld.org)

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Heth said...

I wish my kitchen looked like yours. There will be no pictures here!

No, I know what you mean, the blog world sure can be a time-suck. I have been taking my blogging a bit slower lately, too much to do in the real world. And yet, my house is STILL a mess. Ugh!

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! You have been nominated for a blog award at One Woman's World. Come on over and nominate some of your favorite women bloggers!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is easily true for so many things . . . tv, sleep, hobbies, shopping. It's hard to strike a balance sometimes. I'm guilty of this too.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

I wrote about the same thing the past few days (just not as funny). I am so addicted to blogging. I need bloggers anonymous.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Housework? That's what I have a wife for! (ducking)

Actually, I'm about as cleaning-impaired as they come, so I can certainly understand the feeling that comes over you when you "come up for air," look around, and realize you're living in that pig stye your mom always said you'd have someday.

At least women come up for air more often than the guys. Pity my poor wife who has to put on a biohazard suit before dusting the computer room.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger WarriorWife said...

How funny, and yet how true. Fortunately for me, I just live in corporate america, so I don't have children or chores I end up neglecting and feeling guilty about. I only have "quick breaks" from the daily grind...only every hour on the hour...that's not too much, right?

I came over from Princess Mom, and I'm adding you to my crazed blog reading list now...more reason to move my "blog breaks" up to every thirty minutes or so, right?

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I have said it before, if I take a break from blogging, I will have nothing to Blog about!! Because while I am in here writing and reading, and reading, and reading, my kids ar out there doing horrible things that will make fabulous blogs. It is a vicious cycle. Loved this entry, it really spoke to me ;)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

okay.. so those pics are so not bad at all. or maybe that just means that my house is about 10 times worse....
maybe i should clean.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Well, let's just say I tried my best to take pictures of the dustrabbits and they didn't come out as clear as I'd hoped. There is actually a rectangle of dust around my piano where no one walks. You can see it from down the hall.

Trust me, to some of you the pictures may not be bad, but rest assured, it's not CLEAN. I cannot believe I just said that to the world. Oye.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

We all have days like this...

Oh wait... some of us have LIVES like this.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Pam said...

You've been lurking around with my dust "rabbits", too? They could probably get together and have a party! I've noticed the direct correlation between the frequency of my blogging and the rapid disintegration of my home sweet home. To this point I've employed my 10-year-old to try and pick up my slack, but I'm sure the secret will be out all too soon. I guess I'll stop blogging when the "rabbits" take over the top of the dining room table : )

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ENABLER!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

This is GREAT! You have now provided me with an excuse for the condition of my house. Work? NO; children? couldn't be; last minute appointments and activities? No way. Well then, what is it??? It's my new life of blogging!! YEE HAA! I now have a reason my house looks this way!! (not that it didn't before I started blogging... this just sounds too good to not use it, for a while anyway!) GREAT POST!!! Had me smiling the whole way through!! Thanks!!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger TZ said...

Hello, super mum, I guess you can call me super Dad

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Um, you forgot the "crack" of blog addiction...comments baby! Would we REALLY get SO addicted if we didn't KNOW people were reading what we have to say?? Would we REALLY post daily if we didn't know we'd get those comments?!? Gotta LOVE the comment love!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Oh this is hilarious!! You are so funny! And thanks for the mention.

I am just as addicted to my site meter as I am to my blog. I can't believe I just admitted that. In fact, I came here because I saw you on my site meter! Egad! I need help!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger The Amazing Trips said...

Oh, this is so darn funny. I love not knowing what your kids wore to school, or if they even GOT to school. That's rivaled only by the lovely stain around your coffee pot that stayed for 3 days!! I'm howling! :)

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Blogger profile name said...

I love this post - it is so ME! I started blogging in May and am completely hooked.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Joy M. said...

Oh my gosh! Is that all the dirty laundry and dishes you have? My dustbunnies are KILLER dustbunnies and I BREED them!

LOL Know what's funny? I only started this in January!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

My husband calls them cows, or sometimes buffalos, and our herds are certainly large. But I can rest in the fact that sweeping is officially not my duty (I have older kids). It is, however, still my responsibility.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

learn our best blog -

[url=http://trailfire.com/codeine] buy codeine no prescription [/url]

http://trailfire.com/codeine
[url=http://trailfire.com/codeine] cough syrup with codeine [/url]

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

find our site -

[url=http://trailfire.com/paxil] overdosing on paxil [/url]

http://trailfire.com/paxil
[url=http://trailfire.com/paxil] paxil weight gain [/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home