Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Artsy Fartsy

I did it. After years of saying I might, I did it. After years of trying and failing and feeling overwhelmed with crafting projects, I did it. After blog-hopping and seeing that everyone out there has some sort of crafty thing going, I was compelled to try my hand at being artsy fartsy too. Yes, I bought my very own sewing machine.

I dragged Shannon with me to Wal-Mart and picked out a machine identical to hers so I can call her at all hours and know that she can walk me through any problem. Here is our shopping extravaganza (please ignore the weird squatting position I've assumed; apparently I was so thrilled I almost peed my pants):
sewing_machine 001


I picked out some fabric to make some of the great burp rags Shannon makes and then we came back to my house to set up the machine. And by "we" I mean Shannon, of course, because I know less than nothing about sewing.

sewing_machine 002 sewing_machine 003


Sure, all the pictures of me, but let's be clear that Shannon did all the work. The Bebe maybe needed a nap, but I NEEDED MY SEWING MACHINE THREADED. I held Shannon and her bebe hostage until she gave me a quick overview of everything I needed to get started. I was ready to go!

Unfortunately, between lunch, doctor appointments for kids, and playdates, I didn't get to try out my craftiness until late this afternoon. My seams are ridiculously crooked, but here is the kitchen towel/burp rag I made:
sewing_machine 013

I made two of these and I plan to do more tomorrow. It's just practice at this point, but I'm still really excited to get to the level of making burp cloths and matching blankets. My cousin just had a baby and my brother and his wife are expecting a new one this year. I'd love to give them some of these.

14 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, just bought a new sewing machine. It's been a while since I took home ec and it was purely a social thing at the time. So, I am trying to teach myself what I should have learned then. I saw the burp cloths on Shannon'e site and wondered what she used as the cloth part? You used a kitchen towel? I was just going to buy a pack of plain ones and sew some cute fabric on but if you crafty people have a better idea please share! Thanks! Happy sewing!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Trust me, Shannon, I'm glad you intervened!

Anonymous: Just to be clear, I didn't USE a kitchen towel, I made one. As Shannon said, I used flannel to make a double-sided rectangle, then put another piece of flannel in the middle. When complete, voila! A kitchen towel (or burp rag depending on your audience). Between Shannon and me, does that make sense? If not, I strongly suggest you follow Shannon and not me! :D LOL

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Love the machine! Congratulations on your new-found craftiness. My mom got me an ancient machine at Christmas time, and I have been hesitant to make use of it. I need Shannon to come to my house and cheer me on, too!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

Oh please can you share how to make these birp cloths. I have so many friends about to give birth it would be nice to make something practicle.

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chilihead,

I think between the two of you I understand. Thanks for your response. I am looking forward to seeing what else you guys come up with.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Goslyn said...

Wow, your craftiness awes and humbles me. I do not craft. I do not sew. I also do not drink, but any intimate encounter with a sewing machine usually ends up with me wishing, desperately, for a bottle of wine or perhaps a fifth of tequila.

So, I am impressed. Plus, good burp cloths are almost impossible to find. I know. I have one of those "exorcist"-type babies.

Enjoy your new hobby!

PS - Did you ever get my email re:Yellowstone? I'm beginning to think I may have mistyped your email addy ...

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked for and received a sowing machine for Christmas. I haven't tackled it yet...but one of these days.
Good for you on the burp rag.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Isabella said...

Awesome! Now you're making me think I should pull out my old sewing machine. I actually used to make quilts back in the day. Still have some of 'em. I keep thinking that I want to teach my daughters, but never wind up making time...doesn't help that we don't have any really great fabric stores here anymore. Have fun with your new craftiness!
--Mel

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Isabella said...

You are light years ahead of me. My kids have been quite disappointed about my lack of sewing ability and keep insisting I get a sewing basket. Little do they know in Home Ec, somehow the sewing machine needles kept bending into fishhooks!

Good Luck!

Kelly

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Heth said...

You definately ARE artsy fartsy. More emphasis on the artsy than the fartsy.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Congrats on your new family member. The sewing is the best! I also love how you use the term "bebe." It's one of my favorites.

Welcome to the world of people with 50 rubbermaid totes of fabric in their garage...just in case.

"Just in case of what?" you ask. I really don't know.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Love this.
Sewing is absolutely addicting.
And I agree with the DYM. Now you will find yourself buying fabric just because you like and not because you have a project you need it for. I actually have so much fabric that I am pretty sure I won't use all of it in this lifetime.
I love it.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

How did Daring know I had fabric in rubbermaids?? When I moved I got rid of some of it. I only sew occassionally, but it sure gives me a high to complete a project. I made a blanket 13 years ago and my daughter uses it. It is tearing apart which is killing me, but she thinks it is HERS!!! Welcome to the club! Does sewing really have to be a craft, I'm not crafty!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Well, it's lovely.

I have a sewing machine in the attic I've had since I was 12. I think I used it one time. I'm so embarrassed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home