Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self-Portrait Tuesday

I've seen a few different blogs that have themes for different days of the week. One of them is Self-Portrait Tuesday. I'm pressed for time this week and can't seem to squeeze in the time I want to compose the deep thinking, socially responsible blogs for which I'm known. So I'm going with the whole self-portrait thing.

turtle2


This is the fabric I've chosen to make a quilt for my nephew. You can't really tell from the picture, but the fabric does coordinate. The fabric on the left is actually a light blue and the greens in the turtles coordinate with that funky square pattern.

And how is this a self portrait you ask. Well, it's a representation of what I'm doing right now. And do you see the turtles? Those are Hawaiian turtles and they are called Honu. They are special to me because I was able to visit my brother and his precious family twice while they lived in Hawaii. On my last visit my brother and I decided to get tattoos together. I know, I know. It's not what some families would do, and trust me, I called home to discuss it with hubby before I actually inked. After explaining it would be small, hidden, and one color, hubby seemed to be OK with it so I went ahead with the deal. As an aside: yes, it hurt; no, I won't be doing it again.

For my tattoo I chose a small group of four honu that vary in size and represent each member of my family. It's on my hip and isn't even visible when I wear a bathing suit (especially since I only wear skirtinis). My brother also chose a grouping of three honu (to represent his own family) which he had placed swimming up from his foot to his calf. They are quite nice, actually. It was a really great day. Right up there with the day we learned to surf together.

Rather than take a picture of the tattoo and share that--which I'm just not ready to do and I'm sure you're not quite there either--I chose to take a picture of the fabric. My nephew was born in Hawaii and the honu are a special symbol for me that I would like to share with him.

That's my self-portrait Tuesday.

7 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I love the colors and fabric you have chosen. What a FUN quilt that will be! And the memories and stories it will generate... Should make for great family get together discussions!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

Ah, Hawaii. I would love to be there right now.

I really like that material you picked. So I have learned you have great taste, you are adventuresome and you are a great aunt and sister!

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I hope it wasn't going to be a suprise, I'm sorry, I won't spoil it for Trev though. I am so touched, the Honu are perfect! I'm all faclempt now...

However, Trav has to figure out if we should get another Honu for his foot, or a palm tree, or manatee, or something. I think we should stick with the Honu even if we arent in Hawaii anymore. Manatee? Too confusing, "so your saying your second child is a fat blob"? hehe

Thank you for getting artsy fartsy.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Heth said...

I love that you and your brother got tattoos together, that is so sweet.

Make sure you post pics of the finished quilt.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I think that is great fabric. Beautiful colors.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Goslyn said...

What a cool post! Love the self portrait. Very artistic in its way - symbolism and all that.

Love it.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Cannot wait to see the progress on this one! Such great fabric!
Oh the possibilities!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home