Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Resolutions and a Flicker of Success

toad_scale

I made the same resolution everyone else does every year: get fit, lose weight. There are others, but this is the one I'm focusing on right now. I have done Weight Watchers in the past with great success. However, once I met my goal weight and my goal (wearing a particular dress to a friend's wedding), I promptly gained it all back plus some. I have that personality that requires a constant goal. If there is nothing to work toward then I will not work at all. All or nothing.

I have been "doing" Weight Watchers for the past week without attending the meetings. I keep track of my points, weigh myself once a week at the gym, and work out at least three times a week. Today I weighed and I have lost 2.5 lbs! I'm happy, but I'm also motivated to keep going. I realize the weekly rate will drop to about a pound a week and that I will also plateau. It's my body's way of asking me if I'm really sure I want to put forth the effort.

To keep me motivated I have discussed with my husband that I need to have rewards for every five pounds I lose. When I hit my goal weight there needs to be a separate goal. After that, for each month a maintain the goal weight I need to have a reward. He's behind me 100 percent, but I'm having trouble deciding what the rewards should be. I'm not interested in buying clothes until I lose a little more weight and my current ones no longer fit. I don't buy CDs because I have SIRIUS radio and it has everything under the sun. So, my request of you is that you help me come up with some small prizes (up to $20) and a monthly prize (not sure how much this should be, but reasonable). I'm thinking massage for the monthly reward. I'd pretty much stop eating completely for a regular message!

Let me know what you think.

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember how I linked to your blog, but here I am and I enjoy it! A reward I would enjoy would be a manicure and/or a pedicure. Good Luck with WW. I'm trying to lose weight too, but just changing my habits, not going with one particular plan right now.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Heth said...

How about new clearance shoes? Or $20 at Target for some bracelets or earrings or a necklace. A new little purse?

Oh wait, that's MY list of things I would want. :)

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Ooooh. I do like the clearance shoes (LOL--I read your shoe post a few days ago!) and Target ideas. I could live in Target.

I already get a manicure every other week. I'm saving the pedicure for when I reach my main goal. Perhaps I'll splurge when I lose a fiver and get a manicure on my off week. ;)

I knew I could count on you guys.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

I tried a reward system. Unfortunatly cheese fries kind of set me back. Seriously, though, here are some rewards that come to mind: allow yourself to lay in the hammock with a good book and ignore the world for one hour. Treat yourself to something like a movie, or a painting class. I signed up for a weekend motorcycle riding lesson and (obviously in warmer weather) windsurfing lessons. I think I got way off track so I'll shut up now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home