Thursday, January 19, 2006

Are we working for the unattainable?

As some of you know, I'm counting points and trying to lose weight. So far I've lost six pounds. I found a site today that has me thinking about why I want to lose weight. So here's why I want to lose weight: It's all about me. I want to lose weight because I want to lose weight. Not because my husband wants me to, not because I want to wear a bikini this summer (it'll never happen, folks), not because I want to be the mirror image of some model. I just got tired of looking at the lumps around my midsection--the ones you could see even though I was fully dressed. I got tired of getting winded just going up the stairs in my house.

I have been through the whole "I need to be a size 8 or I won't be pretty" thing. I actually felt that way once. Being a mom has really helped me see that my personality is who I am, not my jeans size. Being a mom has also shown me how important it is for me to be healthy so I can keep up with my kids. As I work at becoming healthier and losing weight, I am not as tired and I just plain feel better.

For those of you who are interested, here's the site I told you about. It shows how a picture of a bikini model was retouched. Make sure you put your mouse over the photo too see what it looked like before it was retouched. I found it fascinating. You know what? I think there are many of us who could be bikini models if we had Photoshop. ;)

6 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Heth said...

Woudn't real life photoshop be fun?!

It's so ironic that our society is striving towards a goal that isn't even real.

Good for you. Congratulations on those six pounds.

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I with you. I have a lot of work to do since my youngest was born. My husband still loves the way I look--but it's more important how I feel about it...it's so darn hard to find nice clothes.
Your blog is beautiful--I've added you as a link on my new page--I'm looking forward to reading you more often!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Counting points right along with you... and also taking advantage of our YMCA's free 12 week personal trainer.

8 pounds off so far. Now if I can just kick my Coke habit...

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Congratulations on your six pounds. That's gotta be encouraging :)

And as Heth said, the goal out there in the media is not attainable. And then to top that off, the figure that is seen as healthy and desirable changes every decade or so.

Definitely mean you've got to do it for you and no one else.

I love your blog - I'll be back :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Isabella said...

That is a completely fascinating site. I always suspected, but honestly never knew how much retouching they do. Definitely food for thought. Good luck with your diet too :)
--Melanie

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Artful Kisser said...

I never realised how extreme the retouching was. It's quite odd that the retouched version is the "ideal" given how lifeless it is. It's a very vacant stare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home