Friday, March 03, 2006

My Wonderful Life

I had a lovely Moms Night Out with some friends (old and new) last night. We went to a real, kid-free restaurant and ordered appetizers and wine. We discussed washing machines and driers, religion, and education. We are meeting again in two weeks at an Irish pub for more booze and motherly discussion. I can’t wait.

When I arrived home last night and said good-bye to my awesome mother-in-law, I crawled into bed. My husband was out of town and I found that I missed my kids. So I went upstairs and kissed them both. On my way back downstairs I realized I wanted to be with them. So I went back into Max’s room and picked him up and carried him down to my bed. No easy feat, I have to tell you. That boy is all legs and jagged elbows. Then I went back up stairs to get Wild Thing. Again, no easy feat. She is solid like a rock—a fifty pound rock.

We were finally snuggled all together and I was happy. It was a long, sleepless night for me, but I didn’t mind. I love sleeping with my kids. Of course, I re-thought that when, at 1:17am my son turned over and breathed his death breath into my face while my daughter, who is ridiculously gassy for a five-year-old, let one rip at the same time. While I’m fighting for clean air neither one of them even woke up. I had to laugh. That’s just plain funny. If I didn’t know better I’d say they planned it.

At 2:23am I woke up because I was hot and pulled off the covers. A little later I woke up again and looked over at Wild Thing. She was curled up in a ball and looked at me (though I don’t think she was fully awake). I asked her if she was cold and put the covers back over her. She looked at me, smiled, and said, “Yes, I am cold. Thanks for asking.” I had to laugh again.

At 7:30am this morning both kids decided to rouse themselves and me. Then they decided to give me a backrub. This was no ordinary backrub. This was full body contact massage. As I lay on my stomach they took turns throwing their little bodies on top of mine. Wild Thing added a head butt into my shoulder blades which, surprisingly, didn’t really hurt. They thought this was hysterical.

They are off to school now and I am left alone again to look around and wonder. I wonder what I did to be so lucky. I wonder what I did to have such a great family. I wonder what I did to have such a perfect life.

12 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Pam said...

How sweet! I don't want the "pleasure" of sleeping with my children every night, but especially when dh is gone -- I'm right there with you!

Great post.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! I can so relate. Despite the punches, kicks and stinky breath, I sleep so much better when one or more of my kids is in bed with me. Just an overall sense of well-being.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So precious.

Glad you enjoyed a wonderful evening. :)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

What a beautiful post!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

That's so cute. I'm glad you had a "good night's sleep."

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger GiBee said...

Oh, my ... thank goodness you didn't have any stinky feet in your face! Breath and toots are plenty to deal with!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

"Thanks for asking." What a sweetheart! I often tell Dan that I want to go wake the kids up and play with them or cuddle them in the middle of the night. He says, "But you were so relieved to put them down?"

It's the schizophrenia of motherhood.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I am laughing out loud. Not at you of course, but only because I can relate!! And yet you said it absolutely right. Through all that... there is nothing quite like having your children nestled at your side.

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i absolutely adore sleeping with my kids... until they move or make noise... ok. well. maybe i don't adore it that much.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't they just the sweetest when they're asleep and you can just watch their little faces? so sweet. until they toot. But then? then the 'thank you for asking.' my kids arent' that polite when fully awake. good job!

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet. Just sweet.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Heth said...

Aren't they precious when they are sleeping.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home