Thursday, February 09, 2006

100 of ANYTHING is a Lot

Yesterday was the 100th day of kindergarten (our kindergarten starts later than some other schools because of assessments). Each kindergartener was asked to come up with a special project using 100 things to celebrate this milestone. Some kids brought 100 beads; some found 100 things from outside; I saw one little girl who had glued 100 acorns into a swirly pattern (though it looked a little "too perfect" for a 5-year-old's handiwork). The sky is the limit on this assignment.

When my son did this he and his dad found 100 pennies and glued them onto a piece of paper. They made a shark eating a fish in the ocean with the sun shining overhead. It was awesome. Here it is:
shark100

Those three lone little pennies at the bottom are the shark babies.

Yesterday it was Munchkin's turn to come up with something. She decided she would like to take 100 stuffed animals to school. Um, wha'? Yes. 100. Stuffed. Animals. TO SCHOOL. So, believe it or not, we actually have 100 stuffed animals. Since Munchkin is not allowed to have a pet (besides Juliette her beta fish--who happens to be male, but that's another blog altogether), she collects stuffed pets. We did have to dip into my son's stash a bit and we used a few of my childhood buddies, but here ya go:
100animals

It may not look like 100, but it is. (I never thought I'd actually be excited to have so many small McDonald's toys!) The Holly Hobby was mine when I was but a wee chilihead. So was the little eskimo doll--did I tell you we lived in Anchorage, AK for a while? My brother was born there. He was orange because there was not enough sunlight. But I digress.

To transport all of these special critters to school I had to stuff and push and swear them into a tall hamper, the basket you see in the photo, and a third basket with a lid. It was worth it though: Munchkin was beside herself with glee and no one in the history of the kindergarten program had ever thought of her project before. She was the star of the day.

12 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger WarriorWife said...

Wow. I think I have 2 stuffed animals. So once again, WOW. That's such a totally awesome kindergarten project!

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow, I used to have that same darned Holly Hobby doll. She was a favorite of mine.
Love the McDonald's toys, I stash them in my car for emergencies.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Isabella said...

Cool ideas for that 100's collection thing. That's a lot of stuffed animals. My daughter is doing paper clips strung together. Re: Alaska--I grew up in Fairbanks!
--Mel

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That's a lot of stuffed animals...

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Heth said...

The 100th day is great. It is so sweet that you let her take the stuffed animals, what a good mommie. I would have said "Sorry, choose something smaller." Because I'm a brat like that.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Heth said...

100th day is great. It's so sweet that you let her take the stuffed animals. What a good mommy. I would have said "Sorry, choose something smaller." Because I am a brat like that.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Randi said...

That sounds like fun! I am sure my boys could easily come up with 100 "guys" too!

BTW--I am very curious where your nickname, Chilihead, came from???? Do you mind disclosing that little secret!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Linsey Farley Jameson said...

CUTE!!! We just had our 100 day a few weeks ago. Tyler drew 100 dots on his arm, he put 100 stickers on his shirt, he put 100 beads on a necklace. It was so much fun, but that...so cool!!!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Linsey Farley Jameson said...

CUTE!!! We just had our 100 day a few weeks ago. Tyler drew 100 dots on his arm, he put 100 stickers on his shirt, he put 100 beads on a necklace. It was so much fun, but that...so cool!!!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Goslyn said...

Wow, 100 stuffed animals. That is actually kind of frightening. We only have maybe 30 in the house, and find those overwhelming and scary. LOL.

Good project.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

I love the 100 pennies picture. And 100 stuffed animals? Holy buckets of animals!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's pretty cute. Cool is having his 100 day party on Monday. I hear that they will be celebrating by eating 100 snacks. Hmmm. I'm thinking he will be skipping lunch that day?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home